Although the present Palazzo Ginnasi was constructed between 1935 and 1940, there was already a building of that name in the spot in the late 16th century. The building is located next to the Largo di Torre Argentina in the heart of Rome.
Palazzo Ginnasi Rome
Address: Largo Ginnasi, Rome. Phone: N/A. Opening times and ticket price: The building can only be viewed from outside.
History and description
The original Palazzo Ginnasi was partially destroyed between 1935 and 1940, when the Via delle Botteghe Oscure was enlarged. The inscription (“Ginnasi”) above the portal remains, as does the family coat of arms.
The original palace was designed by Ottaviano Mascherino. During a restoration in 1624, the already existing Santa Lucia church was incorporated in the building. At this point, part of the building became a monastery for Carmelite nuns and part became the Collegio Ginnasi, for those who wished to enter into an ecclesiastical life. The Arco de Ginnasi was also constructed during this period.
The area where the main building and the church used to be is now taken up by the Monastery of the Maestre Pie Filippine, recognizable by the Madonnella above the portal facing the Via delle Botteghe Oscure.