The Palazzo della Gran Guardia is a monumental building on the south side of the Piazza Bra in Verona. The huge arches on the first floor are a clear reference to the famous Arena across the square. Today the Gran Guardia is one of the most important exhibition spaces in Verona.
Palazzo della Gran Guardia Verona
Address, opening hours and ticket price
Address: Piazza Brà – 37121 Verona. Telephone: +39 0458033400. Opening Hours: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.). Closed: Never. Entrance fee: 12 Euro; 65+ and university students: 9 Euro; young people between 6 and 17 years of age: 6 Euro. Public transport: Bus: 11, 12, 13, 72, 90, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98, 510.
In total the building consists of two floors plus an attic. The construction of the palazzo designed by the architect Domenico Curtoni started in 1610, but after 4 years it had to be stopped due to lack of money.
It was not until 1820 that construction resumed, now under the direction of the architect Giuseppe Barbieri. This architect also designed Palazzo Barbieri, another building in the Piazza Bra. In 1853 the palace was finally completed.
Since then, the building has often been modified, albeit not always with positive results. One of the most important changes took place at the end of the 20th century. The Gran Guardia was converted into a congress centre and the two floors were transformed into five floors.
The 13 huge stone arches adorning the first floor of the Palazzo della Gran Guardia, which is over 86 metres wide, have a diameter of no less than 3 and a half metres. The piano nobile is characterized by large rectangular windows.
In front of the palazzo there is a wide portico, where troops could be inspected when it rained. It was also used to practice fencing in bad weather. The belfry above the portico is intended for the Accademia d’Armi dei Filotimi.