The Palazzo del Marzocco is one of the most famous buildings in Anghiari. It is located on the Piazza Mameli. It is also called Palazzo della Battaglia. It is the seat of the Museo della Battaglia e di Anghiari.
Palazzo Marzocco Anghiari
Address: Piazza Goffred Mameli – 52031, Anghiari. Telephone: +39 0575 787023. Opening hours: From 2 November to 31 March every day: 9:30-13:00 / 14:30-17:30; from 1 April to 1 November every day: 9:30-13:00 / 14:30-18:30. Closed: December 25. Admission fee: 3.50 Euro; 65+, students under 25: 2.50 Euro; children under 14: Free.
History and description
The Palazzo del Marzocco dates back to the period when people started erecting buildings outside the original city walls. It is located near the old Porta degli Auspici city gate, which was demolished in 1612.
At the time, this was the area where the carbonaie, “charcoal piles” in English, were located, where charcoal was prepared.
The coat of arms above one of the doors shows that the building was property of the aristocratic Angelieri family.
However, the name of the building derives from a statue that depicted the Florentine lion, called the Marzocco, symbol of the sovereignty of the people. This statue was located on a wall in the Piazza Baldaccio, then called Piazza del Mercatale, until 1526. In that year Ilioneo Taglieschi, who had received the statue from the prior of the community of Anghiari, placed it on the corner of the Palazzo del Marzocco.
After the original had been damaged in bombings in 1944, a copy was placed on the building. The original, or what remains of it, is on display at the State Museum in the Palazzo Taglieschi.
The “Museum of the Battle and of Anghiari” is named after the battle that took place near the city on June 19, 1440. The Florentines, together with the papal troops, defeated the Viscontis from Milan and thus gained control of the entire region.