The Palazzo Mattei di Giove is an early 17th century historic building in Rome. At present it is being used as the seat for the Center of American Studies.
Palazzo Mattei di Giove Rome
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
The address of the Palazzo Mattei di Giove is Via Michelangelo Caetani, 32 – Rome. Rione: Sant’Angelo.
History and Description
The Palazzo Mattei di Giove is also known as Palazzo Antici-Mattei. It was built by order of Asdrubale Mattei, the marquis of Giove.
Of the five palaces that made up the so-called Insula Mattei, it was the last one to be built.
Work began in 1598, under the direction of Carlo Maderno.
In 1613 the building was extended to the Via Caetani and it was completed in 1618.
The Palazzo Mattei di Giove is made of brick and travertine marble and it has three floors. The cornice is decorated with the coats of arms of the Mattei and Gonzaga families (the marquis was married to a Gonzaga).
At the top of the palace there is a balcony with a loggia.
Both the two courtyards and the staircase are decorated with sculptures, most of which were found during excavations at the various properties of the family.
The vaults of the halls of the palace were painted by artists of the time, including such famous names as Francesco Albani, Giovanni Lanfranco, Antonio Pomarancio and Pietro da Cortona.
These rooms are used today as the seat of the Centro di Studi Americani. Other institutions that reside in the building are the Discoteca di Stato, the Historical Institute of Modern and Contemporary Times and the Library of Modern and Contemporary History.
In 1938, the Palazzo Mattei di Giove became property of the Italian State.