Palazzo dell’Orologio Pisa
Address, Opening hours and Entrance fee
The address of the Palazzo dell’Orologio is Piazza dei Cavalieri – 56126 Pisa. Bus: E, 4. The building can only be viewed from the outside.
History and description Palazzo dell’Orologio Pisa
The Palazzo dell’Orologio is located in a strategic spot that has been inhabited since Etruscan times. It was built in the 17th century by merging two already existing palaces. At that time, the entire Piazza dei Cavalieri was reordered.
In the following centuries further renovations took place.
The left side was originally a tower house that would later be converted into the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo.
This building was connected by a passage to the so-called Torre delle Muda, so called because the eagles that symbolized the power of Pisa were imprisoned there during the moulting period (muta).
The tower, owned by the Gualandi family, was later converted into the Prison of Hunger (Carcere della Fame), also called Prison of the Seven Streets (delle sette vie).
In the 16th century the building became an infirmary and the complex was renamed Torre del Buonumo.
Between 1605 and 1608 the building got its present shape. The tower was incorporated into the palace and the two parts were connected by a passage.
The frescoes painted on the facade at the time and glorifying the power of the Medici have unfortunately almost completely disappeared.
In 1696, the bell tower to which the palace owes its name was placed on the building. Until the beginning of the 19th century it served as a residence for retired knights and as a hospital.
A last restoration took place in 1919, after the building was purchased by the Earl of Gherardesca. The neo-Gothic quadrille in the left part of the facade dates from that time.