The Palazzo Pretorio has been the town hall of Anghiari since the 19th century. Especially because of the multitude of coats of arms on its facade, it is one of the most striking buildings in the city. It is the seat of the Museum of the Battle of Anghiari. The old prison and the council chamber can be visited.
Palazzo Pretorio Anghiari
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Piazza del Popolo, 9 – Anghiari. Telephone: +39 0575 789522. Opening hours: From 2 November to 31 March 9:30-13:00 and 14:30-17:30; from 1 April to 1 November 9:30-13:00 and 14:30-18:30. Closed 25 December. Admission fee: 4 Euros (65+ and students under 25, 3 Euros; children under 14, free).
Note: During the Covid crisis, opening hours may differ from those indicated.
GHistory and Description
The Palazzo Pretorio, which has an L-shaped floor plan, is located in the middle of the original city centre. Construction began in 1339, commissioned by the Perugia rulers of the time.
Despite the many renovations in the course of the centuries, remnants of the original structure remain. One example is provided by the round arches of the windows.
The stone and terracotta coats of arms on the facade are those of former bishops and Podestà (a kind of mayor, but with more power than its current counterpart). From 1386, when Florence had taken over power in the area, it was the seat of the vicariate and of the court of justice.
The prison on the first floor can still be visited. To the left of this is a large fresco that has “Justice” as its theme and was painted (probably) by Antonio d’Anghiari around 1640. The Chapel of the Old Tribunal on the right is decorated with 15th century frescoes.
IA seriously damaged fresco can be seen in a niche on the façade.
The Council Chamber (Sala del Consiglio) is graced with works by local painter Fausto Vagnetti (1876-1954). Here you can also see busts of Giuseppe Garibaldi and Blessed Bartolomeo Magi (1460-1510), among others.