The Palazzo dei Priori is located in the Piazza del Popolo across from Todi‘s cathedral. It was built towards the end of the 13th century and at present houses multipe municipal offices and private companies.
Palazzo dei Priori
The address of the Palazzo dei Priori is Piazza del Popolo – Todi. The palace can only be visited from the outside.
History and curiosities
It was built between 1293 and 1337 and has been the residence of many dignitaries of the city throughout the years. The bell tower dates back to the 14th century, but had to be lowered later because there was a danger of it collapsing. Beneath the building there are remains of ancient Roman warehouses.
What to see
The coat of arms on the facade, the bronze eagle, was placed there in 1339 and was designed by Giovanni Gigliaccio.
The windows on the facade date back to 1513 and were placed there by order of Pope Leo X.
The current verion of the bell tower was built between 1369 and 1385.
The interior of the Palazzo dei Priori is graced by a number of 14th century murals.
The Sala delle Udienze features several frescoes, clockwise “Saint Cristoforo Holding the Child” (mid-14th century), “Madonna on the Stream with Child and Saints” (early 14th century) and finally three coats of arms, including that of Braccio Fortebracci, a famous mercenary who fought for the Pope.