The Palazzo Ruggeri is located in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II in Rome, in that part that used to be the old Via Papalis. The architect was Giacomo della Porta.
Palazzo Ruggeri Rome
Address, opening hours and entrance fee
Address: Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 24 – Rome. The building is private property and cannot be visited.
History and description
The Palazzo Ruggeri is named for an old family, originally from the southern part of Italy, but present in Rome since the 15th century. It was designed and constructed in 1588 by Giacomo della Porta.
Construction was commissioned by Pompeo Ruggeri, but later, in the early years of the 17th century, Silvio Ruggeri had the interior and the facade embellished.
He also arranged for the palazzo, in case there were no family members left to inherit it, to be donated to the Compagnia del Salvatore and the Compagnia degli Orfani. In 1657 this became reality with the death of Gaspare Ruggeri.
Later the Palazzo Ruggeri was sold to the Boadile and still later, in the 20th century, to the Serafini families.
The building has four floors, two of which are mezzanines. The inscription on the architrave above the entrance refers to Pompei Ruggeri who had commissioned the brothers Giovanni and Cherubino Alberti to do the paintings of the halls and the loggia. There is an image of the Madonna with Child on the lower mezzanine. The head of an ox, the coat of arms of the Ruggeri family, can be seen on a portico in the courtyard.