The Palazzo Ruspoli stands on Rome’s Via del Corso shopping street. It was built in the 16th century. The first owners were the Rucellai, but the current name derives from the family that has owned it since 1776.
Palazzo Ruspoli Rome
Address, hours, tickets
The address of Palazzo Ruspoli is Via del Corso, 418 – Rome. Rione: Trevi. Telephone: +39 0668136598. The palace is privately owned and only the second floor can be visited on the occasion of special exhibitions.
History Palazzo Ruspoli Rome
The palace began its existence as the residence of the Jacobbili family and was built toward the middle of the 16th century. In 1583, when it was not even completed, it was already acquired by to the Rucellai family.
The Rucellai commissioned the Florence-born architect Bartolomeo Ammannati to complete the construction. Ammanati widened the façade on the Via del Corso and added the loggia overlooking the garden.
Simultaneously, the hall of the palace was frescoed by Jacopo Zucchi. Several ancient statues were also placed in this hall.
In 1629, the Caetani bought the palace and immediately had Bartolomeo Breccioli modify the façade on the Largo Goldoni side. Breccioli added some windows to the right of the portal and the removed the intermediate floor in order to create space for a new 2nd floor.
The monumental staircase between the portico and the loggia was designed by Martino Longhi the Younger around 1640. He also made the roof turret.
The Ruspoli family has owned the palace since 1776, although they have since sold part of it.
The Palazzo Ruspoli consists of three floors. The first floor used to house the Caffè Nuovo, which was one of the city’s most famous cafes until it had to close in 1879.