Palazzo San Macuto Rome

The Palazzo San Macuto is a historic building in the Colonna district of Rome. It is built against the church of the same name.

Palazzo San Macuto Rome

Address, opening hours and entrance fee

The address of Palazzo San Macuto is Via del Seminario, 76 – Rome. The palace is not open to the public and can only be viewed from the outside.

History Palazzo San Macuto Rome

The Palazzo San Macuto is so named because the small church located in the same square is dedicated to this saint. This Macuto was said to be a monk from Wales who settled in the Roman city of Aleithum (present-day Sant Malo) to escape persecution by the Saxons. He had immediately founded a monastery there, upon which he was declared bishop by the population.

The Palazzo San Macuto is constructed against the church. The construction was commissioned by Count Gabrielli di Gubbio and began in 1607.

In 1729, the building was given to the Jesuits, who turned it into a boarding school for the children of aristocrats.

In 1774, when the Order was banned, both the church and the building were purchased by the Monte di Pietà. The church was sold to the de Curiali fraternity, while the palace became property of Cardinal Borromeo.

In 1849, Mazzini purchased it, and later it became the seat of the Ministry of Public Works.

At present, it is the seat of the Collegio of San Roberto Bellarmino. It also houses the Library of the Camera dei Deputati.

Via del Seminario, 76 – Rome