The Palazzo Scanderbeg is located in the square of the same name, in the heart of Rome‘s historic center, a short walk from the Trevi Fountain and the Quirinal Palace. It was long the seat of the city’s (now closed) Pasta Museum.
Palazzo Scanderbeg Rome
Address: Piazza Scanderbeg, 117 – Rome.
History and description
The Palazzo Scanderbeg was commissioned by the Albanian prince Giorgio Castriota (nicknamed Scanderbeg) in 1466.
The prince, who united all the Albanian princes under his command, was known as an invincible fighter against the Turkish forces and, as Defensor Fidei (“Defender of the Faith”), received money and honorary medaillons from the Catholic Church as a reward.
The building consists of six floors, one of which is underground.
The portrait above the entrance to the palace shows the prince himself. His heirs were told to have the portrait restored whenever it started showing signs of decay.
The palazzo was restored in 1843 and in 1987.