The Palazzo del Senato Sabaudo in Turin dates back to the 18th century. It is the result of the work of a number of successive architects, including of course Filippo Juvarra.
Palazzo del Senato di Sabaudo Turin
Address: Via Corte d’Appello, 16 – Torino. The building hosts offices of the court and is not open to tourists.
History and description
The Palazzo is situated along the road that leads from the Quartieri Militari, also designed by Juvarra, to the Palazzo della Città. The building was meant to become the seat of the Magistrature del Senato and the Camera dei Conti.
Unfortunately, several medieval buildings had to be destroyed to make the construction of the new palazzo possible.
Apart from Juvarra, Benedetto Alfieri (1740), Giovambattista Feroggio (1788) and Ignazio Michela (1830-1838) worked on the Palazzo del Senato Sabaudo.
However, its overall architectural style refers to the neo-classicism that was popular in 18th century Piedmont.
The facade is characterized by a pronaos with four columns. It is built on a high foundation.
At present, the Palazzo houses court offices, but until not too long ago it used to be the seat of the Palazzo di Giustizia di Torino.