The Palazzo Sora (also called the Palazzo Fieschi Sora) is a historic building on the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II in Rome. It is owned by the municipality.
Palazzo Sora Rome
The address is Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 217 – Rome. Neighbourhood: Ponte. The building is owned by the municipality and can not be visited by tourists.
History and description
The Palazzo Sora was commissioned by Count Lavagna Urbano Fieschi in the 15th century. Later, his brother Nicola expanded the building. Originally it consisted three floors and two towers at the ends.
It was first sold to the Savelli and then (in the late 16th century) came into the hands of Pope Gregory XIII, whose surname was Boncompagni Duchi di Sora.
In the 17th century it became one of the main centers of intellectual Roman life.
The Accademia dei Quiriti took up residence in the 18th century.
In the 19th century, it was converted into the Cavalry Barracks.
In 1889, the palace became the property of the Italian State. When Corso Vittorio Emanuele II was built, the façade was pulled down, to subsequently be reconstructed identically it bit further to the back.
In 1992, now owned by the municipality, it was rebuilt again, this time to be turned into a school.
The façade on the Corso Vittorio side has two floors, plus an elevation dating from the 20th century.
The façade on the Via Sora side has remained largely the same as the original building.
What to see
The courtyard of the Palazzo Sora is framed by a portico.