Palazzo Vallelonga is a 17th century building along the so-called miglio d’oro in Torre del Greco. The palace, often damaged by earthquakes, is today the seat of the Banca di Credito Popolare.
Palazzo Vallelonga Torre del Greco
The address of Palazzo Vallelonga is Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 92 – 80059 Torre del Greco (tel. +39 0813581562/563/524). Train: Torre del Greco. Bus: 455. Opening hours and entrance fees depend on eventual events.
History and description
The history of the Palazzo Vallelonga began towards the end of the 17th century. The Castiglione Morelli family came into possession of a huge estate in the countryside outside Torre del Greco. At the time, there were only a few cottages and stables, which were incorporated into a large villa at the beginning of the next century. The villa was used by the family as a summer residence.
After the earthquake of 1794, the villa was left to its own devices for a long time and became fairly dilapidated.
In 1843, the Vallelonga family had the ruins refurbished by Camillo Napoleone Sasso. He increased both the area and the height (with an extra floor) of the palace. He also created the monumental staircase and the large reception hall.
From 1861, after yet another earthquake, the building fell into disrepair again.
More than a century later (1982) Palazzo Vallelonga was bought by the Banca di Credito Popolare, who restored it, taking care not to alter its original architecture. Today it is the headquarters of the bank and sometimes conferences and exhibitions are organized there.