The Palazzo Venezia, seat of the Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Venezia, is located in the Piazza Venezia in Rome. Highlights, apart from the collection of the museum, are the ceiling frescoes in several rooms and the beautiful courtyard.
Palazzo Venezia Rome
Address, opening hours and admission price museum
Address: The entrance is at the Via del Plebiscito, 118. Phone: +39 06 69994319. Opening times: From Friday to Sunday from 9.30 am to 7.30 pm (Last admission at 6.30 pm). Entrance fee: 10 Euros; EU citizens from 18 to 25 years of age: 2 Euros; EU citizens younger than 18: Free. Roma Pass: Valid.
History and description
The Palazzo Venezia was constructed in 1451 by the Venetian Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II), at the time the titular Cardinal of the nearby Basilica of Saint Mark.
When Lorenzo Cibo, the nephew of Pope Innocent VIII, acquired the property, he had it enlarged along what is now the Via del Plebiscito.
The building is designed in a style reminiscent of Tuscany. Its main aspects are the Loggia of the Benedictions and the “Corridor of the Cardinals”, a walkway overlooking the Via degli Astalli.
The palazzo underwent big changes in 1911, when the Monument for Vittorio Emanuele II was constructed. Part of the building was moved, one stone at the time, to the other side.
In 1916 Palazzo Venezia became property of the Italian State and was turned into a museum. Before that time it had served as an Embassy, first of the Republic of Venice and then of Austria.
From 1929 to 1943 Mussolini made it into the residence of the Head of State and the Grand Council of Fascism. The famous news reels of the dictator addressing the crowds took place from a balcony of the Palazzo Venezia.
The talking statue of Madama Lucrezia can be seen outside the building.