Piazza Castello is the central square of Turin. It was constructed in the 14th century in honor of the House of Savoy and is still considered the historical and political center of the city. The most important building in this square is the Palazzo Madama.
Piazza Castello Turin
Address: Piazza Castello. Opening times: Always open. Ticket price: Free. Directions: Piazza Castello is located just over a kilometer from Turin’s main train station Porta Nuova and is very easily reached by walking down Via Roma. If you prefer public transportation, you can take bus 11.
History and description
The history of Piazza Castello begins in the 14th century. The princes of Savoia-Acaia had the city walls and blocks near the castle leveled to create a large open space for special events. However, it was not until the end of the 16th century that this space actually became a square, thanks to the architects Ascanio Vittozzi (who took care of the east side, with the buildings with arcades), Amedeo di Castellamonte and Filippo Juvarra. Juvarra was responsible for the monumental west side (facing the castle) and also had the Padiglione delle Ostensioni della Sindone built. However, this was demolished in the Napoleonic period and replaced by the fence of the Palazzo Reale designed by Pelagio Palagi.
The importance of the square was further increased after the construction of Via Roma (leading to the central station), Via Po (leading to the Po River) and Via Pietro Micca.
What to see
Piazza Castello gets its name from the Palazzo Madama, which is located in the middle of the square. It is flanked by three monuments: In front of the façade is the Alfiere dell’Esercito Sardo (1859) created by Vincenzo Vela, on the south side Pietro Canonica’s Cavalieri d’Italia (1923) and on the east side the monument dedicated to Emanuele Filiberto Duca d’Aosta designed by Eugenio Baroni in 1937.
The Piazza Madama is accessible only to pedestrians. Apart from the monuments, there are also a number of fountains. The square is flanked by multiple beautiful and stately buildings, interspersed with cafes.