Piazza Cavour & Fountain of the Triton Naples

The Piazza Cavour in Naples looks more like an elongated park along the Via Foria than a real square. The fountain in this park, which also houses a bust of Matteo Renato Imbriani, is the Fontana del Tritone. There are also some churches at the edge of the square.

Piazza Cavour & Fountain of the Triton Naples

History and description

Fountain of the Triton, Piazza cavour, Naples
Fountain of the Triton

Piazza Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour, which used to be called Largo delle Pigne, has actually only been looking the way it can be admired today since 1870. It is in that year the city began to construct the gardens.

Since the Porta San Gennaro opens onto what is now the square, this used to be outside the city wall. The spot was chosen because a natural channel used to run here, between what was then Naples and the Vomero and Capodimonte hills.

Until the 16th century, there were no buildings on this spot. It was only under Don Pedro di Toledo that the first palaces were constructed. One of these buildings was the nearby Palazzo della Cavallerizza, now the seat of the Archaeological Museum of Naples.

In 1812, Joachim Murat, Napoleon‘s brother-in-law, who was king of Naples from 1808 to 1815, had the low ground filled in, in order to create a quick road to the center.

The neighborhood, however, remained disorderly. Houses and workshops were built here and there, and the square was often used for fairs and other events.

It was not until 1870 that the garden as it looks today was created.

What to see

Fountain of the Triton

Although a fountain had been there since 1871, the Triton was not added until 1933. The sculptor was Carlo De Veroli. In 1987, the triton was painted all blue by fans of the Napoli football club because the club had won the scudetto. During the construction of the Museo metro stop, the fountain, called Fontana delle Paparelle by locals, was completely restored.

M.R. Imbriani

Bust Imbriani, Piazza Cavour Naples
M.R. Imbriani

The bust of Matteo Renato Imbriano (1843-1901) is not very visible. Imbriani fought alongside Garibaldi for the Italian unification. However, he is better known as the founder of the aqueduct supplying water to parts of the Puglia region.

Santa Maria delle Grazie Church

The Santa Maria delle Grazie a Piazza Cavour Church (the Cavour bit is necessary as there are two more churches dedicated to Maria delle Grazie in the city) dates back to the early 19th century. Inside the church, however, there are works of art dating back to the 14th century.

Santa Maria del Rosario alle Pigne Church

Santa Maria del Rosario alle Pigne Church Naples
Santa Maria del Rosario delle Pigne

The Santa Maria del Rosario alle Pigne Church immediately stands out because of the large niche with the “Madonna del Rosario” statue in the middle of the facade. The church was closed for many years after the 1980 earthquake. The addition delle Pigne is due to two large pine trees that had to be taken down when the church was built.

Gesù delle Monache Church

The Gesù delle Monache Church was built in the early 16th century at the request of the second wife of King Ferdinand I of Naples, Giovanna d’Aragona.

Useful information

Address: Piazza Cavour – Napoli. Public transportation: The square is located between the Museo (line 1) and Piazza Cavour (line 2) metro stops. A pedestrian tunnel constructed in 2002 connects the two stations. Apart from the central station, this is the only place where the two lines cross (more or less).

Piazza Cavour, Naples


View Larger Map

Follow by Email
WhatsApp