The Piazza Cavour is a square in the center of Livorno. Surrounding the square are a number of 19th century buildings. The Fosso Reale, the “Royal Canal” runs under the square.
Piazza Cavour Livorno
The address of the square is Piazza Cavour. Bus: 2, 3, 4, 6. The square can be visited free of charge at any time of the day.
The construction of the buildings around Piazza Cavour was part of a larger project to enlarge the city under Pietro Leopoldo II.
Landmarks in and around Piazza Cavour
The statue in the center of the square is of the man after whom the square is named, Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour, one of the most important figures in the movement to unify Italy. It was made in 1871 by Vincenzo Cerri. Unfortunately, it has been proven necessary to fence off the statue to prevent graffiti and vandalism.
The Royal Canal (Fosso Reale) passes under Piazza Cavour. The view towards the harbor from the square, along the canal and the Scali d’Azeglio, shows a number of beautiful mansions.
Looking in the opposite direction, one sees on the left side of the canal the Scali Saffi and the Central Market of Livorno.
One can also see from here the Chiesa degli Olandesi, a beautiful but completely dilapidated church built by the Dutch community in Livorno.
The Palazzo Santoponte was designed by the architect Giovan Battista Picchianti.
The most striking building in the square is the Palazzo Gragnani on its eastern side.