The Piazza Cavour is a central square in Padua. Attractions are the statue of Cavour himself and the Galleria Civica. The square borders the Piazza Garibaldi.
Piazza Cavour Padua
History and description
The square is dedicated to Count Camillo Benso di Cavour (1810-1861), who hailed from Turin. This statesman, considered to be the architect of the Italian constitution, was the first Prime Minister of the new country Italy. Unfortunately he died of a stroke only two months after his appointment.
In the past it was known under the names Piazza delle Biade and Piazza delle Legne. The first name was because it was the place where people traded grain and the second one because they traded wood here.
The statue in the centre of the square represents Cavour himself and it was made by Enrico Chiaradia (1851-1901). Chiaradia‘s most famous work is the bronze equestrian statue of King Victor Emanuel II on the Vittoriano in Rome.
The main attraction on the square is the Galleria Civica.
The Hotel Savoja-Croce d’Oro, which used to be the most prestigious hotel of the city, closed in 1920.