The fountain in the Piazza delle Cinque Scole in Rome is also known as the Fountain of Piazza Giudia or Giudea, since that was its original location until the old ghetto was demolished in 1888.
Piazza delle Cinque Scole Fountain Rome
History and description
The Fountain in the Piazza delle Cinque Scole was designed by Giacomo della Porta and carved in 1591 by the sculptor Pietro Gucci.
It is made of white marble and is characterized by a long white basin resting on a base of two steps. The marble came from the former Temple of Serapis. From a higher central basin a jet of water falls into the lower one. The decorative sculptures depict four Gorgons with snakes in their hair. The coats of arms at the bottom are those of families whose members were among the magistrates of the city.
The initial plans for a fountain in what was then the Jewish ghetto of Rome were made in 1587. The Acqua Felice aqueduct had just been completed and this had to be celebrated with a fountain in the Piazza Giudea. This square, now demolished, was located at one of the entrances to the ghetto, which had been created by Pope Paul IV in 1555.
Toward the end of the 19th century, the walls of the ghetto were torn down. The fountain was dismantled and preserved in a municipal storehouse.
In 1930, governor Francesco Boncompagno Ludovisi had the fountain reassembled. It was placed in its present spot in the Piazza delle Cinque Scole. At the time this square was still called Via del Progresso.