Piazza del Municipio Naples

The Piazza del Municipio is one of the largest and most beautiful squares in Naples. On the west side is the town hall Palazzo San Giacomo and on the east side the square seems to seemlessly pass along the Castel Nuovo onto the Molo Angioino pier.

Piazza del Municipio Naples

History and description

Piazza del Municipio Naples
Piazza del Municipio with Palazzo San Giacomo

When the big transatlantic ships still docked at the Stazione Marittima, the Piazza Municipio was the first part of Naples visitors saw of the city.

The Molo Angioino is the pier that separates the Bacino Angioino from the main port. This Porto Mercantile (“Commercial Port”) was founded by Charles II of Anjou in 1302. Over the centuries, the port has continued to expand, culminating in the construction of the Stazione Marittima (“Maritime Station”) in the 20th century.

The Palazzo San Giacomo is the current town hall of Naples. However, it was originally built to house the Bourbon ministries. its construction lasted from 11819 till 1825.

The equestrian statue in the center of the square is a monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, the first king of Italy. It was erected towards the end of the 19th century.

The Teatro Mercadante occupies part of the eastern side of the square. It was consecrated in 1779, although the current fa├žade was not added until later, in 1893.

Piazza del Municipio, Naples

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *