Piazza del Popolo Todi
The Tourist Office of Lodi is located in the loggia of the Palazzo del Capitano and the Palazzo del Popolo.
History and Description
The Piazza del Popolo was constructed on the site of the former Roman Forum of the city. Under the square are the ancient cisterns of Todi, where grain was stored and which are connected by long underground passages. These were discovered in 1262, when the square was paved. From then on, for several centuries they were used to store water.
The square used to be much larger than it is today. The Duomo was initially located more or less in its center.
What to see
The Cathedral of Todi is one of the most beautiful churches in Umbria. Inside there is a famous fresco and its cellars have been turned into a small museum.
The Palazzo dei Priori is located opposite the cathedral. It was built between 1293 and 1337 and today houses municipal offices. The coat of arms on the facade, the bronze eagle, was placed there in 1339.
The town hall is located in the Palazzo del Popolo. Built in 1213, this Gothic palace is entered via a monumental staircase and is one of the oldest town halls in Italy. The battlements were only added in the 19th century.
The Palazzo del Capitano was constructed around 1290 and is located next to the Palazzo del Popolo. It is characterized by Gothic triforas. The two buildings are connected by a large external staircase and actually form a single unit.