The Piazza della Libertà is a large square at the end of the Via San Gallo in the centre of Florence. Although it already existed much earlier, its present appearance dates from the 19th century. The main attractions are the Triumphal Arch and the Porta San Gallo. 10 streets lead to the square.
Piazza Della Libertà Florence
Opening hours and entrance fee
Piazza della Libertà can be accessed free of charge at any time of the day. The nearest bus stop is Libertà (1, 7, 25, 82, 307 A, C1).
History and description
The Piazza della Libertà was originally a small square around the medieval Porta San Gallo. At that time it was on the north side of the city’s defensive wall and a moat ran along it.
The first important change took place in 1738, when the huge Arch of Triumph was built there. This happened in honour of the arrival of Francesco Stefano di Lorena, the Grand Duke of Tuscany. The implementation of the project was in the hands of Jean Nicolas Jadot. The arch was completed in 1744 with a bas-relief depicting the victory over the Turks.
A major renovation took place in 1865. Giuseppe Poggi was responsible for the design of this renovation. He turned it into an elliptical square, with the triumphal arch and the Porta San Gallo in the middle. The square is surrounded by several historical neo-classical buildings with impressive porticoes.