The Piazza della Repubblica is located at a short distance from Rome‘s central railway station Roma Termini. The main attractions on this square are the Fountain of the Naiads and the Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri Church.
Piazza della Repubblica Rome
History and description
Until the end of the 1950’s Piazza della Repubblica was called Piazza Esedra and older Romans sometimes still refer to it that way. This name derives from the exedra of the Baths of Diocletian, which used to be located exactly where one now sees the semi-circular rows of columns and palazzi.
The architect Gaetano Koch designed the porticoed buildings on this side of the square, and had it built between 1887 and 1898, whereas Michelangelo himself was responsible for the Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, the floor plan of which was also influenced by what was left of the ancient Diocletian Baths, particularly its Tepidarium.
The Fontana delle Naiadi in the middle of the square was partly designed by one Mario Rutelli, whose great-grandson later became Rome’s mayor.