The Piazza della Repubblica in Turin forms the backdrop for the city’s largest market. However, its original function was that of training ground for the army. The market is protected from the weather by a large metal roof.
Piazza della Repubblica Turin
Piazza della Repubblica in Turin is located at the end of Via Milano, about 1.5 kilometers from the train station. When you leave the Porta Nuova station turn left and then immediately right into Via XX Settembre. After walking for a little over a kilometer, turn left into Corso Regina Margherita. By public transportation it is best to take the bus 52.
History and description
The original purpose of the construction of this octagonal square was to make it a training ground for the army.
In the 19th century Piazza della Repubblica gained in importance: the architect Gaetano Lombardi had the arcades on both sides of it extended (1819).
Nowadays, the city’s largest market takes place in Piazza delle Repubblica. In 1916, a metal roof was placed over the vegetable and fish market.
The Piazza delle Repubblica is “embraced” by two buildings with shop space.