The Piazza Garibaldi in Todi is a short walk from the central Piazza del Popolo. It is named after the Italian freedom fighter Giuseppe Garibaldi, whose statue takes up central position in the square. From one side of the square, there is a beautiful panorama of the surrounding valley and hills.
Piazza Garibaldi Todi
History and description
Piazza Garibaldi was originally called Piazza di San Giovanni and was named after the SS. Giovanni and Paolo Church that was destroyed towards the end of the 13th century by order of Pope Boniface VIII.
Tradition has it that Garibaldi fled to Todi with his heavily pregnant wife Anita after the collapse of the Roman Republic.
Piazza Garibaldi Todi, what to see
- In the center of the square is the statue in honor of the freedom fighter Garibaldi himself. This was created in 1890 by Giuseppe Frenguelli.
- Behind the statue is a huge cypress tree planted in 1849 in honor of Garibaldi by a native of Todi. The tree is now 36 meters tall and the trunk has a circumference of about 2 meters.
- On the left side of Piazza Garibaldi is the seat of the Poste e Telegrafi (the former Monte di Pietà).
- The palace on the right was built in 1552 by Viviano Atti. The various symbols on the facade refer to the Oddi family.