The Piazza Girolamo Fabrizio is the central square of Acquapendente (province of Viterbo). In this square there are some of the most beautiful historical buildings of the town, as well as the Town Hall and a statue of its most famous inhabitant.
Piazza Girolamo Fabrizio Acquapendente
The Piazza Girolamo Fabrizio used to be called Piazza Vittorio Emanuele.
The history of the square begins in the 12th century, with the deforestation of the Valle del Rivo. The wealthier families of the city chose this place to build their mansions. These are mainly characterized by the beautiful portals.
What to see
The Santo Stefano Church is at n. 7.
The building facint this church is the Palazzo Benci-Caterini, with a portal ending in an arch, crowned by a Doric entablature. The central stone above the gate is decorated with a grotesque mask. There used to be a loggia, the three arches of which can still be seen. The third floor was added later.
The Palazzo Savini-Costantini (n. 3) is located on the corner of the Piazza Girolamo Fabrizio and the Piazza Oberdan. The archivolt of the portal is decorated with the coat of arms of the Savini family.
The Palazzo Petrucci-Piccioni (n. 6) faces the Palazzo Comunale. The name TANCREDES PETRUTIUS can be read on both sides of the central stone above the door.
The Palazzo Comunale was designed in 1870 by the architect Meluzzi and is the most striking building in the square.
In the centre of the square is a statue of the man after whom it is named, the 16th century surgeon Girolamo Fabrizio.