Piazza San Giustino Chieti
The square can b visited 24/7.
History and description
The original name of the Piazza San Giustino was Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, after the first King of Italy. It is a vast square with numerous impressive buildings such as the Cathedral, the Palazzo Comunale, the Palazzo della Giustizia, the Palazzo Mezzanotte and the Palazzo Siroli.
The Palazzo Comunale (“Town Hall”) used to be called Palazzo Valignani. It is a neoclassical building with a loggia around its courtyard. The bronze statue of Achilles on horseback is the symbol of the city.
The building next door is the Palazzo Sirolli. It used to be the home of the local artist Giovan Battista Spinelli (1613-1658).
The Palazzo Mezzanotte is of more recent origin. The building was constructed in the late 19th century, and is named for the family who had it constructed.
The Palazzo Obletter consists of several buildings joined together. The oldest part dates back to the late 18th, the newest to the early 20th century.
The Palazzo di Giustizia was constructed in a neo-Gothic style.
The square is adorned with two statues by the contemporary sculptor Luciano Primavera. They depict San Giustino and Father Alessandro Valignani.