The Piazza di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme in the Esquilino district of Rome is named for the beautiful basilica located there. Other points of interest are the Anfiteatro Castrense three small museums and a fountain.
Piazza Santa Croce in Gerusalemme Rome
Tram: Bus: 50, 105, 649, n3d, n11.
History and description
Before the square got its official name, it was called Monte Cipollara, since onions (cipolle) used to be cultivated at the site.
In addition to the Basilica of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, there is another small church near the square. The Santa Maria del Buon Aiuto Church is never open, however.
The fountain adorning the square was constructed in 1927 by A. Marini. Unfortunately it is usually inactive, despite its proximity to the Acquedotto Felice and the famous basilica.
At the corner of the square with Via di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme are ruins of what used to be the Anfiteatro Castrense.
The entrances to three small museums (the Museum of Musical Instruments, the Infantry Museum and the Historical Museum of the Grenadiers of Sardinia) are also located in the square.
The gate on the right side of the square leads to the garden of the complex. Unfortunately, it is not open to tourists. This gate is the work of the Greek modern artist Jannis Kounellis and was placed there in 2007. The garden itself had been redesigned three years earlier, by Paolo Pejrone.
Three major streets used to open onto the square, one of which ran along the walls of the aqueduct. The second street led to the Porta Maggiore and the third to the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano (today’s Via Carlo Felice).