The Piazza Tre Martiri (“Square of the Three Martyrs”) in Rimini is a short walk from the city’s ancient Roman Forum. It is here that social, commercial and political life took place since the foundation of what used to be called Ariminum. Together with Piazza Cavour, it is Rimini’s most important square.
Piazza Tre Martiri Rimini
Address: Piazza Tre Martiri – Rimini. The square is always open.
History and description
The statue of Julius Caesar is a reminder that the square was used to be named after the emperor. A plaque placed in the square in the 16th century commemorates that it was here that Caesar addressed his troops after crossing the Rubicon. The words il dado è tratto (“the die is cast”) have gone down in history.
Today, the square is dedicated to three young partisans hanged here by the Nazis on 16 August 1944. The exact spot where Mario Capelli, Luigi Nicolò and Adelio Pagliarini met their end is indicated by a plaque near the Sant’Antonio da Padova Church in the square.
The most striking monument in the square is the Torre dell’Orologio, built in 1547. This clock tower displays the calendar, the signs of the zodiac and the phases of the moon.