The Piazza della Vittoria is the main square of Palermo. Although its present name is in recognition of a revolution in 1820, the square already existed in Roman times. Ruins of some Roman houses are incorporated in te Villa Bonanno.
Piazza della Vittoria Palermo
History and description
As far back as at during the foundation of the first walled settlement Piazza della Vittoria was the central square of the city. However, it got its present layout, next to the Palazzo dei Normanni, only in the 16th century.
In 1820, the square was the background of a rebellion of the people of Palermo against the Bourbons. The resurrection was successful and the square was renamed Piazza della Vittoria.
Villa Bonanno and the Roman Houses
Most of the square is taken up by a palm tree garden. This garden is part of the Villa Bonanno, which was built in 1905. The ruins of a three big Roman houses are incorporated in this villa.