The Pinacoteca dell’Academia Albertina is located in the building of the Academy of Fine Arts in Turin. The nucleus of the exhibition consists of two collections donated respectively by the Archbishop Vincenzo Maria Mossi di Morano and by CarloAlberto. The gallery also hosts temporary exhibitions.
Pinacoteca Accademia Albertina Turin
Address: Via Accademia Albertina, 8 – 10123 Torino. Phone: +39 011 0897370. Opening times: 10.00-18.00. Closed: Wednesdays. Ticket price: 7 Euros (university students younger than 25, children age 6-18: 5 Euros; children age 0-5: Free.
History and description
The Pinacotheque was founded in 1837. Its original scope was to help the students of the Academy in their education. The bishop’s collection counted over 200 works, while Carlo Alberto’s donation amounted to 59 16th century cartoons by Gaudenzio Ferrari and his pupils. “Cartoons” derives from the Italian word cartoni and refers to the life size preparatory drawings artists used to make for their frescoes.
The first five rooms contains works from the Collection of the Bishop. The works range from the 15th tot the 18th century and included artists such as Filippo Lippi, Bartolomeo Cavarozzi and Mattia Preti. There is also space for local painters from the Piedmont area, such as Defendente Ferrari and Martino Spanzotti.
The 6th room contains copies of famous paintings by Caravaggio, Rubens, Guido Reni and others.
In the following rooms 18th and early 19th century works by members and pupils of the Academy itself are on display. There are also works acquired through other donations.
The exhibition ends with the 16th century cartoons of Gaudenzio Ferrari (1471-1546). In the Encyclopaedia Britannica, Ferrari is described as follows:
“The reputation which he enjoyed soon after his death was very great, but it has not fully stood the test of time. Lomazzo went so far as to place him seventh among the seven prime painters of Italy.”