The Pinacoteca Civica (“City Pinacotheque”) of Ascoli Piceno is housed in the historic Palazzo dell’Arengo, located in Piazza Arringo. Many works of art on display in the museum were taken from former convents and monasteries. The Pinacotheque has 15 rooms.
Pinacotheque Ascoli Piceno
The address of the Pinacteca Civica is Piazza Arringo – Ascoli Piceno (tel. +39 0736298213). Opening hours: 10am-7pm (1 April to 30 September, plus Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays); 10am-5pm (1 October to 31 March). Closed: Mondays, 1 January (morning), 24 December (afternoon), 25 December, 31 December (afternoon). Entrance fee: 8 Euro (discount: 5 Euro). This ticket is a 3-in-1 for the Pinacotheque, the Ceramics Museum and the Galleria d’Arte Contemporanea.
History and description
Ascoli Piceno’s Pinacotheque was founded in 1861, right after the Unification of Italy. Many of the paintings on display come from monasteries expropriated in 1861 such as the Sant’Angelo Magno and San Domenico churches and the Jesuit convent.
A cope made in England and donated to the city’s Cathedral by (Ascoli Piceno-born) Pope Niccolò IV in 1288. A cope is a liturgical mantle or cloak, open in front and fastened at the breast with a band or clasp.
Panels painted by Carlo Crivelli and Cola d’Amatrice, among others.
Paintings by Tizian, Guido Reni and Luca Giordano.
19th-century sculptures by Pietro Canonica and Nicola Cantalamessa, among others.
There is a collection of locally produces ceramics.
And extensive collection of musical instruments.