The Ponte degli Scalzi is one of four bridges over the Grand Canal in Venice. It connects the districts of Santa Croce and Cannaregio. It is the first bridge that most tourists will encounter, as it is located directly opposite the central train station.
Ponte degli Scalzi Venice
History and description
The Ponte degli Scalzi (“Bridge of the Barefooted”) was designed by Eugenio Miozzi. Construction began in 1932 and was completed in 1934.
Miozzi‘s version replaced an earlier bridge built by the Austrians. The architect of this cast iron bridge was the Englishman Alfred E. Neville. However, the original bridge soon started showing signs of decay. It was also too low (4 meters) for various types of boats and its architecture was seen as clashing with the stately surroundings.
The present bridge is made of Istrian stone, a kind of limestone that was widely used in the city.
The name Scalzi deriveses from the nearby Chiesa degli Scalzi.
The reason the original bridge was built was the construction of the train station in 1846. The Ponte degli Scalzi is therefore often called Ponte della Stazione.