The Ponte Principe Amedeo Savoia Aosta in Rome is, not surprisingly, also known as the Ponte Principe and connects the Lungotevere dei Sangallo to the Piazza Della Rovere. Construction of the bridge faced multiple interruptions and took 34 months to complete.
Ponte Principe Amedeo Savoia Aosta Rome
History and description
The bridge is located near the Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II bridge and connects the San Giovanni dei Fiorentini church and the area of Corso Vittorio Emanuele II to the tunnel that leads to the Via Aurelia.
Work was begun in 1939 and finished in 1942. Its length is almost 110m and it is 20m wide and consists of three masonry arches covered with white marble. The middle arch has a window on each side.
During its construction, a temporary iron bridge was built to deal with the flow of traffic.
Prince Amedeo di Savoia-Aosta was the Viceroy of Ethiopia and had won a medal for military valor after his heroic defense of Amba Alagi, during World War II.