Ponte Testaccio Rome
History and description
After Rome’s ex-Mattattoio (former slaughterhouse) had been demolished, the city decided to build a bridge that would create a direct thoroughfare from the railway station Stazione Trastevere to the Viale Aventino.
When construction was started in 1938 the bridge was still to be called the Ponte Africa, but later the name was changed to Ponte Testaccio, after Rome’s 20th district.
It has a length of almost 122m and a width of 31m and consists of one arch of reinforced concrete. The architect was Bastianelli and construction was finished in 1948.