The Porta Metronia is an ancient city gate along the Aurelian Wall in Rome. It is located along the Via dell’Amba Aradam, which leads to Basilica of Saint John In Lateran. The monument just outside the gate is dedicated to the victims of all wars.
Porta Metronia Rome
The Porta Metronia is probably named for a certain Metrobius, who used to own various properties in the area. Another name it was known by is Porta Gabiusa. This is because the road that used to lead to the ancient Volscian city of Gabii used to start here. This road more or less corresponds to the present Via Gallia.
Initially the Porta Metronia was no more than a so-called posterula, a small secret exit out of the city. This is clear because it was included at the base of a small tower on the inside of the wall. Had it been a real gate, it would have been flanked by defensive towers on each side.
In the 12th century the Porta Metronia was closed. The gate became used for a passage of a marrana, as the Romans called ditches that ran through the city. This ditch started near Grottaferrata and was brought to Rome by Pope Callisto II. A grating was put in front of the passage, so that smugglers could not enter the city.
The ditch created a swampy area outside the gate, which came to be called “il Pantano”. Often the stagnant water was the cause of epidemics. This swampy area was completely filled up in the beginning of the 20th century. The Marrana itself was diverted to end in the river Almone.
The gate itself has been bricked up, but its contours are still visible. It is much lower than the present street level.
On both sides of the Porta Metronia there are two arches. On one side these stem from the fascist period and on the other from the period after the war. They were created to facilitate the flow of traffic.
The two plaques on the inside refer to restoration works in 1157 and in 1579.
The 1157 restoration was carried out by the People and the Senate of Rome. The inscription states the names of the counselors who had had the work commissioned. In those days the city displayed a strong streak of independence from the church, which is why the Pope is not mentioned in the inscription.
In the 16th century, as the inscription shows, times had changed. Pope Gregorius XIII made sure that everyone knew that it was he who had had the gate fixed out of his own pocket, 421 years after the last restoration.
Monument for war victims
To the right side of the gate you can see a small monument. This is dedicated “From the City of Rome to the Glorious Victims of All Wars”. It was placed just outside the Porta Metronia in 1960.