The Porta Tufilla used to be part of the eastern defensive wall of Ascoli Piceno. After having been damaged toward the end of the 15th century, it was only restored over half a century later.
Porta Tufilla Ascoli Piceno
The Porta Tufilla is located along the Lungotronto. The gate can be viewed from outside.
History and description
The Porta Tufilla was part of the medieval defense system of the city. It is located in the eastern city wall of Ascoli Piceno, near the Ponte Tufillo (which used to be called Ponte Vecchio and is now known as Ponte di Sant’Antonio).
The name is due to a piece of land near the river bank that was once mistakenly thought to be volcanic tuff stone.
In 1491 the gate was damaged by the Guelphs in their battles against the Ghibellines.
Between 1552 and 1553 it was restored, by the architect Camillo Merli. The small loggia with the three arches is the result of this reconstruction.
The gate had also given its name to one of the districts (her called sestiere) of the city.