The Palazzo della Provincia of Ravenna was built on top of an old mansion in the last century. Of this mansion, which was called Palazzo Rasponi, the family crypt and hanging garden can still be visited. The crypt’s floor mosaic came from a 6th-century church in the suburb of Classe.
Rasponi Crypt Ravenna & Palazzo della Provincia
The address of the Palazzo della Provincia is Via San Francesco, 1 (tel. +39 0544 215342). The nearest bus stop is Piazza Caduti (lines 8, 90, 149, 156, 157, 158, 159, 176). Opening times: The Rasponi Crypt and Hanging Garden are open on Tuesdays from 2.30pm to 6pm, on Fridays from 2pm to 6pm and on Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 6pm. Closed: 25 December. The crypt and the upper part of the gardens are not wheelchair-accessible. Ticket price: The entrance fee is 2 euros. A combi-ticket (Cripta Rasponi, Domus dei Tappeti di Pietra and Museo Tamo) costs 7 Euro. Children under 6 and the disabled can enter for free. There is a special lift (maximum 190 kilos) for the disabled. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
The Palazzo della Provincia was built on the ruins of the former Palazzo Rasponi. Its construction lasted from 1925 to 1828. The architect was Giulio Ulisse Arata.
The palazzo had been destroyed in a fire.
Of the old palace, the Crypt of the Rasponi family and the Hanging Garden that used to connect the palace to the service quarters can still be visited. The Rasponi Crypt, although never used by members of the family, is a good example of a chapel used by noble families of the time.
What to see
The highlight of the crypt is the 6th-century floor mosaic from the San Severo Church.
The arch providing access to the Hanging Garden was originally part of the façade of San Sebastiano and San Marco Church.
The Gothic tower that stands in the garden was placed there only in the 19th century. The part of the garden around the fountain is an even later addition.