The Rocca di Brancaleone is a castle in Ravenna commissioned by the Venetian Republic. Construction began in 1457. The structure consists of the castle proper and the citadel, where the troops used to be stationed. Two bas-reliefs are visible in the Torre della Cappella above the entrance. The first depicts the “Lion of Venice” and was made by Marino di Marco Cedrini. The second depicts a “Madonna and Child”.
Rocca Brancaleone Ravenna
Address: Via Brancaleone, Ravenna (tel. +39 0544 36094). Bus lines 2,3 and 5. Opening times: March: 8.00 – 18.30; April: 8.00 – 20.00; May and June: 8.00 – 21.00; July and August: 8.00 – 23.00; September: 8.00 – 19.30; October: 8.00 – 18.00; November to February: 8.00 – 17.00.. Ticket price: Free. (Note that prices and times may be subject to change.)
History and description
In 1441, Ravenna was occupied by the Venetian Republic. The new rulers immediately had a series of defensive structures built to give the inhabitants a sense of security. The Rocca Brancaleone, which was part of the defensive wall, was built in 1457.
The castle consists of two parts, the Rocca and the Citadel. The Rocca is rectangular and has a round tower at each corner. These towers are connected by a double wall.
The occupation forces were housed in the Citadel. This structure had a surface area of about 14 thousand square meters and was also protected by a wall.
What to see
Some years ago, the Giardino della Rocca, a park with large trees, was created inside the Citadel. The oak tree standing against the wall close to the Torrione della Ghiacciaia is particularly striking.
At the entrance to the Rocca stands the so-called Torre della Cappella, which is decorated with the Lion of St Mark and a Madonna and Child.