Salario is Rome‘s 4th and smallest quartiere. It is named for the ancient Roman consular road Via Salaria, which crosses Italy to end in Porto d’Ascoli on the opposite coast.
Salario District Rome (Quartiere IV)
Salario used to be bigger but in 1926 was divided into Salario and Savoia. Savoia is the name of Italy’s former royal family. The name of this district was changed to Trieste after world war II when the Royal family was forced to abdicate.
Until the end of the 19th century, when a lot of construction work was being done in Rome, there were hardly any inhabitants on the other side of the Porta Pia, also because a big part of the area was occupied by huge villa’s like the – still existing – Villa Albani.
There are not very many tourist attractions in the quartiere Salario. Apart from the above-mentioned Villa Albani the MACRO Museum and the Catacombs of Santa Felicita are worth mentioning. The MACRO Museum is housed in an old Peroni beer brewery.