The Palazzo Chiablese in Turin is located between the Royal Palace and the San Lorenzo Church. Considering its location, it is not a surprise that its history is closely connected to the one of the Royal House of Savoy. At present the ground floor of the building, under the name Sale Chiablese, is used for the temporary exhibition of the Royal Museums.
Sale Chiablese Turin
Address: Piazza San Giovanni, 2 – Turin. Phone: 338 1691652. Opening times: From 10.00 till 19.00; Saturdays and Sundays from 10.00 till 21.00. Closed: Mondays.
History and description
Although connected to the Royal Palace by an internal passage, the Palazzo Chiablese has its main entrance on the Piazza San Giovanni.
Originally constructed in the 17th century, it was enlarged in 1753 by the architect Benedetto Alfieri. The building was the residence of the Duke of Chiablese.
For centuries, the Palazzo Chiablese remained the residence of the Savoy family.
Having been damaged during World War II, and with the Savoy having been forced to abdicate, the palace became property of the state. After a restoration, it became the seat of some regional government offices.
What to see
The monumental staircase leading up to the first floor was the work of by Alfieri. Unfortunately the first floor itself, with its sumptuous decorations, cannot be visited.
The former servants’ quarters on the ground floor, on the other hand, are hardly decorated at all. They are being used for temporary, often extremely prestigious, exhibitions.