The San Bartolomeo della Certosa Church and its monastic complex in Genoa were founded towards the end of the 13th century. The church is located far outside the city center in the Certosa del Quartiere di Rivarolo district.
San Bartolomeo della Certosa Church Genoa
Address: Via San Bartolomeo della Certosa, 16159 Genova. Telephone: +39 010 6443039. Opening hours: From 07:30 till 11:00 and from 16:00 till 18:00 (Sundays from 08:00 till 12:00).
History and description
After Luchino di Negro donated the land where the church was to be built to the Cistercensian Order in 1797, the church and monastery were built in several stages. The order was to eventually remain there until 1797, when the French rulers banned all ecclesiastical orders.
The different architectural styles of the various parts show that the complex was built in three different periods. The small cloister and part of the nave are Gothic. The dome, the large cloister and some other aspects date from the 16th century, while in the 19th century major restorations took place. The architect of these last interventions was Dufour and he was also responsible for the choir.
Giovanni Carlone was responsible for the frescoes and for the canvas depicting “San Bartolomeo”.
Raffaele Badaracco painted two canvases, “San Bruno” and “King Ruggeri.”
Among the marble sculptures, the funerary urns of the Di Negro family stand out.