The Church of San Bartolomeo is one of the oldest churches of Campobasso. It is located on top of the hill, near the Castello Monforte. Its most interesting elements are the portal, the bell tower and a 16th century baptismal font.
Church of San Bartolomeo Campobasso
Address: Salita S. Bartolomeo – 86100 Campobasso. Phone: +39 0874 311424. Opening times: N/A. Ticket price: Free.
History and description
The San Bartolomeo Church was constructed in the 13th century.
In the 17th century, it lost some of its original Romanesque character, as a result of a restoration.
Of the three entrance portals, the central one is more lavishly decorated. Its lunette contains a basrelief of a crucified lamb and Christ making the sign of a blessing supported by two angels. The frame surrounding the lunette is decorated with the Evangelists and the eight doctors of the Western and of the Greek church.
The bell tower is characterized by monoforas. The facade is adorned with a triptych. The three panels depict, from left to right, Saint Bartholomew, the Madonna and the crucified lamb. The belfry was added later.
What to see
The interior consists of three naves, each one with different ceilings (wooden truss, barrel vault and cross vault).
Highlights are a crucifix and a baptismal font, decorated with flower motifs, coats of arms and an inscription indicating the year 1523.