The San Bartolomeo in Pantano Abbey is located behind the Palazzo del Comune of Pistoia, in the square of the same name. In the 8th century, when the church was erected, this was still a marshy area. The highlight is the glittering architrave above the central gate, which has the “Doubting Thomas” as its theme and was probably made by Gruamonte.
San Bartolomeo in Pantano Abbey Pistoia
The address of the Abbazia di San Bartolomeo in Pantano is Via Porta al Pantano, Pistoia (tel. +39 0573 24297). Opening Hours: From 08:00 till 16:00. Entrance fee: Free of charge.
History and description
The San Bartolomeo in Pantano Abbey is one of the oldest religious buildings in Pistoia. The abbey was founded around the year 760 by Gaidolaldo, the archiatro (a kind of court physician) of Desiderio and Adelchi, the last kings of the Lombards.
The church was reconstructed in a Romanesque style around the middle of the 12th century.
The addition in Pantano is due to the fact that the church was built in a swampy area, created by a detour of the small river Brana.
The façade of the abbey was never completed. Its most striking features are the bell-shaped window and the beautiful architrave above the central gate, which has the “Doubting Thomas” as its theme and was probably made by Gruamonte.
What to see
The pulpit was made by Guido da Como in 1250, making it the oldest in the city.
Attached to the left wall of the church are marble bas-reliefs that used to be part of another pulpit.
The 13th century frescoes in the apse (“Christ Pantokrator and Saints John the Baptist and Bartholomew”) were painted by Manfredino d’Alberto.
An antique wooden crucifix, showing Christ on a tree trunk.