San Bernardo alle Terme Church Rome
The Chiesa di San Berbnardo alle Terme was constructed in 1598 in one of the round buildings that denoted the corners of the Diocletian baths, and used to function as the spheristerium (where ball games were held).
The church was initially gifted to the Feuillants, a Cistercian order of French origin. After the French revolution this order disbanded and the church and its convent were donated to the Congregation of Bernard of Clairvaux, who also gave his name to the church.
What to see
The structure of the San Bernardo alle Terme church is round and reminiscent of the Pantheon. Like the Pantheon, the church has a round ceiling (with a diameter of 22 meters) and its only source of light is the oculus at the top.
The eight, rather large, mannerist statues of saints in niches in the church were sculpted by Camillo Mariani around the year 1600.
The beautiful Chapel of Saint Francis was added later.
The address of the Chiesa di San Bernardo alle Terme is Via Torino, 94 (tel. +39 064882122). Bus: 61, 62, 85, 150F, 492, N1, N5, N12.Opening hours:Every day from 06.30 to 12.00 and from 16.00 to 19.00. Entrance fee: Free.