The San Bevignate Church is located in the Monteluce district of Perugia. It is an old Templar church, which has since been secularized.
San Bevignate Church Perugia
Address: Via Enrico dal Pozzo, 145, 06126 Perugia. Opening hours: November to December Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 till 13:00; from April to October from 10:00 till 13:00 and from 15:00 till 18:00. Closed : December 25 and January 1. Admission: 5 Euros (18-, 65+, University students: 2,50 Euros).
History and Description
The Chiesa di San Bevignate was built between 1256 and 1262. The material used is the local sandstone.
The church was constructed at the same spot where there used to be a Roman washing place. The ruins of this site can be visited below the church.
Inside the complex you can see an important fresco cycle that explains the history of the Knights Templar. Other wall paintings depict events from the history of the Flagellants, a religious order founded by Ranieri di Fasano in 1260 that was influential throughout Italy at the time.
The church is built in the Romanesque style, like the Monteluce and Montelabate churches, which were constructed in the same period.
The huge cross vaults are a 15th century addition.