San Biagio Church Tivoli

The Chiesa di San Biagio is a Domenican Church in the Piazza del Plebiscito in Tivoli. This church was reconstructed in neo-Gothic style after having been bombed during World War II.

San Biagio Church Tivoli

Useful information

San Biagio Church Tivoli
San Biagio Church

Address: Piazza del Plebiscito, 21 – 00019 Tivoli. Phone: +39 0744 318178.

History and Description

When the San Biagio Church was built, the area was still quite isolated from the center of the city. The building consisted of a single nave, with a wooden ceiling and chapels built against the side walls.

In 1285, Pope Honorius IV donated the church to the Domenican Order.

The bell tower that stood next to the apse was almost completely destroyed in bombing raids during World War II.

What to see

The highlight of the church is the “Madonna and Child” relief in the tympanum above the main portal. The inscription accompanying the work refers to the Leoncini family, who had paid for the restoration of the church and its convent.

San Biagio Church, Tivoli


View Larger Map

Follow by Email
WhatsApp