It can be difficult to visit the San Bonaventura al Palatino Church in Rome, since it is one of the more popular churches in the city for weddings.
San Bonaventura al Palatino Church Rome
Address: Via di San Bonaventura, 7 – Roma. Phone: +39 06 6780331 (between 16.00 and 18.30). District: Campitelli. Opening times: Saturdays from 09.30 till 12.30. Admission: Free.
History and description
The Chiesa di San Bonaventura al Palatino is dedicated to a 13th century Franciscan saint who was born in the “dying city” of Bagnoregio in the province of Viterbo.
The church, commissioned by Cardinal Francesco Barberini, was constructed in 1675. An ancient cistern of the Aqua Claudia Aqueduct was used as its foundation. A small convent was built next to the church.
In those days people used to call the church San Bonaventura “alla Polveriera”, since there was a gun powder factory nearby.
In 1839, a restoration took place.
The portal is flanked by two aediculas. The statue above the portal depicts San Bonaventura and dates back to the 18th century.
The interior consists of a single nave. There is a chapel on each side of the main altar.
The mortal remains of the saints Bonaventura and Leonardo da Porto Maurizio.