The church of Saint Charles at the Four Fountains (San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane) is a baroque church in Rome. It is designed by Borromini, who did however not manage to finish the work before his death. Because of its small size it is better known as San Carlino Church.
San Carlino Church Rome
Address, opening hours and admission
Address: Via del Quirinale, 23 – Rome (tel. +39 06 4883261). Opening hours: Mondays to Fridays from 10.00 till 13.00 and from 15.00 till 18.00. Saturdays, Sundays and the entire months of July and August: 10.00 till 13.00. Opening hours crypt: Mondays to Saturdays from 10.00 till 13.00 and from 15.00 – 18.00; Sundays from 12.00 till 13.00. Admission: Free.
History and description
The San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane Church was founded in 1638 and incorporated in the convent of the Spanish Trinitarians, who had also been responsible for commissioning construction of the church.
Construction of the church had not yet been completed in 1667, when Borromini died. He ought to have been buried inside the church, and a spot had already been chosen, but since he committed suicide he was buried elsewhere.
After Borromini‘s death his work was continued by his nephew Bernardo Castello Borromini, who was responsible for the top floor and the bell-tower, although he used his more famous uncle’s designs.
Because of its small dimensions the church is also called San Carlino.
San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane is often compared to the nearby Saint Andrew’s at the Quirinal, which was designed by Borromini‘s big rival, Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
The facade of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane is divided into six parts. Its portal is surmounted by a niche, with a sculpture depicting Saint Charles himself.
The interior of the church is oval in shape and the Corinthian columns inside follow the curve of its walls. The cloister is surrounded by Dorian columns.